Thursday, January 20, 2011

Police officers Acquitted in Alabama Brutality Case



You have to watch the full video to understand both sides of this story in my humble opinion. Disregard the men talking just watch the video. It is my full belief that officers of the law should take every means they have available to them to be safe, they have families as well. But it is also my opinion that what happens in the last 11 seconds of the chase was completely uncalled for. The acts that they performed were, from my point of view, completely filled with emotion. I am an avid mixed martial arts fan (read UFC for most people), and even I am appalled by the actions I saw these officers take.

I have heard the argument that these officers are trained to think that every criminal of this stature is armed to the teeth and dangerous. But it would be my understanding that they are also trained to act without bias or emotion. They can't get wrapped up in the moment, they can't act on instinct, they have to act above the people they are serving and protecting. I cannot honestly believe that a panel of jurors watched this video and did not think that what the two officers, that were charged at a federal level, did no harm. While I am not 100% who the two men were, I am going to go on a limb and just say it was the initial officer with the night stick and the officer beating on the guys face.

There are good cops out there, I served in the Air Force with a guy who is now a cop up north, and I can honestly say that I would think he would have the presence of mind to not do what these officers did, and would have probably pulled the jack ass off that was pounding on the guys face.

Truthfully, the first guy in the image after the criminal is thrown from the vehicle(37secs in to the video) and laying face down, not moving, I can almost give him a pass. That was around 5 seconds after the man was thrown from the car and it is nearly impossible to see that he was knocked out in that time. The guy beating on the man's face came in at the 44sec mark of this video, and that is roughly 12 secs after the man is thrown from the vehicle. If anything that man should have had the book thrown at him.

None the less I am going to wrap this post up. I am not happy that both of these men were acquitted of their charges. While I am content with them losing their jobs over the matter (again it is a tough call on the guy with the night stick), I can not say that justice was served here. The man that ran the cop over, and lead AL police on a 22 min chase, should have been tried in front of a jury, not on the side of the highway by 5 armed men. We live in a society where laws are supposed to serve justice and while I do not agree with a vast majority of those laws, as stated here, I think those that blatantly feel they are above the law should be struck down with furious vengeance. Thoughts?

0 comments:

Post a Comment