Monday, January 24, 2011

Pull the Plug


Ok, so I made the jump today and cut off the cable/satellite. You heard me right completely cut it off, didn't mess around with reduced price packages etc. that they try to do when you are pulling out of their services cold turkey. The service officially cuts off next Monday, as that is the end of the billing cycle. Now with that being said I am certainly not giving up TV. I actually put together a pretty sweet setup. I bought a Western Digital Live TV Hub which allows for netflix streaming and can pretty much play ANY codec that you throw at it. I coupled this with PlayOn which allows streaming of Hulu and various other services.

Truthfully PlayOn is where the setup really shines and is worth every penny of the $60 I spent on the life time subscription. I have had the setup running to make sure there would be no major hiccups when the connection to satellite finally goes black. The biggest hurdle was going to be some of the shows that Jill watches, but we were able to find those through various services that the PlayOn has.

Overall really satisfied with the setup. We will see how it goes in about a month and I will write up any pitfalls that happen along the way as well. If you have any questions etc either email me or leave one in the comments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment